This past week in my own teaching I felt a little disconnected which prompts my question to you, "What was the moment (or moments) when I felt most disconnected or disengaged as a teacher - the moment(s) I said to myself, I'm just going through the motions here?"
I feel like I'm going through the motions when I am overwhelmed. We have a lot of expectations at our school. We have 3 hour long staff meetings. At least 2 plannings a week are taken for "training" and collaborative planning, when I am the only teacher who teaches my subject, and two different sets of very detailed lesson plans, weekly and IB and a daily board set up that uses the entire board. Also I am personally responsible for the financial obligations of our robotics team because it is not supported by our school or district. So it is very easy to become overwhelmed and I often feel like I am doing more paperwork then teaching and that makes me disengaged because we are teaching to educate and motivate children, not be micromanaged paper pushers.
Rules For Posting To This Blog and Weekly Blog Question
2. Show respect and consideration of others when posting and commenting. This includes individuals, students, organizations, political parties, colleagues, etc.
3. Check all posts for spelling and grammar errors before posting.
4. Protect the privacy of others. Gain permission from other people before you write about them. Avoid sharing someone else's last name. Use job titles or pseudonyms when writing about experiences with your co-workers or students.
5. Watch your language. Use politically correct and non-offensive language.
6. Make sure you write about things that are factual.
7. Keep your postings education-oriented. Avoid discussing plans for the weekend, etc.
FINAL BLOG POST - OUR "DAILY TRIPLE" (DUE 12/1).
Fall Semester 2016 Blog Post - Week 6
Fall Semester 2016 Blog Post - Week 5
Fall Semester 2016 Blog Post - Week 4
Fall Semester 2016 Blog Post - Week 3
Fall Semester 2016 Blog Post - Week 2
Fall Semester 2016 Blog Post - Week 1