Rules For Posting To This Blog and Weekly Blog Question

1. Only use your first name (no last names, addresses, IM screen names, etc.)
2. Show respect and consideration of others when posting and commenting. This includes individuals, students, organizations, political parties, colleagues, etc.
3. Check all posts for spelling and grammar errors before posting.
4. Protect the privacy of others. Gain permission from other people before you write about them. Avoid sharing someone else's last name. Use job titles or pseudonyms when writing about experiences with your co-workers or students.
5. Watch your language. Use politically correct and non-offensive language.
6. Make sure you write about things that are factual.
7. Keep your postings education-oriented. Avoid discussing plans for the weekend, etc.

This week I would like you to use your imagination. You have just won the lottery and will leave your teaching post immediately to travel around the world. As you leave your keys you meet your replacement. You are asked to give this new teacher just ONE piece of advice. What would that be, and why? Enjoy your world expedition!

Blog Post - Week 7
This past week in my own teaching I felt a little disconnected which prompts my question to you, "What was the moment (or moments) when I felt most disconnected or disengaged as a teacher - the moment(s) I said to myself, I'm just going through the motions here?"

Fall Semester 2016 Blog Post - Week 6
For the past couple of weeks you have experienced asynchronous online learning (doing modules by yourself). Previously this semester you have experienced synchronous online learning (all together in the Collaborate room). Which do you think is more effective and why do you think that? Which do you like better, and why?

Fall Semester 2016 Blog Post - Week 5
This week we have what we call "open mic." You can write a post about anything related to your teaching that you would like responses from your classmates.

Fall Semester 2016 Blog Post - Week 4
Here is this week's question: "What was the event that most took me surprise this week - and event that shook me up, caught me off guard, gave me a jolt, or made me unexpectedly happy?"

Fall Semester 2016 Blog Post - Week 3
Please write a post about the following question, "In thinking about my past week teaching what is one thing I would do differently, and why?"

Fall Semester 2016 Blog Post - Week 2
Please write a post about the following question, " In thinking about my teaching activities this past week, of what do I feel most proud? Why?"

Fall Semester 2016 Blog Post - Week 1
Describe something you used in your program in the first weeks of school that you learned in the summer NTI program. How did it work? Did it get you off to a stronger start than last year?

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Changed Impressions

Wow, I must admit that you really don't know someone's situation until you walk a mile in their shoes, or at least take the time to talk with them awhile about what their job entails.

After a lengthy conversation with one of our guidance counselors, I have to say that my intial impressions of them are not that far off; except that I didn't take into consideration the sheer number of students they deal with on a daily basis nor the other responsibilities that I was ignorant about.

Sometimes I think I have it rough dealing with 120-150 students in one year. They have to deal with anywhere from 250-300 students a year. The difference is that my biggest concern is getting them to pass my class, the counselors are trying to get them to pass "all" their classes while trying to help them decided what to pursue for the future and dealing with any mental, emotional, social or family issue along the way. It's no wonder that on first look they don't seem that interested in what CTAE classes they are going to take.

This is where taking a little time to connect with them comes in. Most of them are well aware that only 30% of these students will actually go to a 4 year colledge. So, where does that leave the other 70%. Well a good start is getting the students educated and interested in our programs. I learned the counselors are not negative to this idea, they just don't have time to develop or implement a workable plan.

I have decided that if there is going to be a progression towared more education for the students regarding CTAE, it will have to come from the CTAE teachers. This is something that I plan to work on for the rest of the year so that maybe we can have a better plan implemented for the students next year.

No comments: